Simple switch: Dish soap

image sources: 1, 2
I've seen a lot of DIY cleaning recipes call for blue Dawn dish soap, so I decided to look it up on EWG's Guide to Healthy Cleaning. Turns out it earned a D, which means it contains ingredients known to have toxic effects on people and the environment. If you use Dawn or another dish soap that earned a low grade, try out one of the four dish soaps that earned an A next time! We love Dish It Out, by Better Life, but the Planet Ultra dish soap is widely available and very close in price to conventional dish soaps like Dawn. Given that everything I wash with dish soap comes into direct contact with my food, I like knowing that the soap we use is harmless :)


3 comments:

  1. I bought a peva liner yesterday! Yeay! WE are setting up house in a new place and I'm committed to a harmless home :) Love your website Elisabeth!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hooray! I LOVE that feeling of setting up a new home and starting with harmless basics :) Thanks for the comment!

      Delete
  2. Thank you for the information. I was surprised to see that Seventh Generation, which I use, only got a C! I love the general premise of your blog and hope to feature it on my blog soon!

    ReplyDelete

 

Questions or requests?

Name

Email *

Message *

About

I've spent 5+ years cleaning up my chemical act, first by researching conventional products and then by finding nontoxic solutions and making slow and steady changes. I blog about my past and current research, recommend products and DIY solutions, and present simple steps that can make a big difference in the health of your home. Harmless Home is a positive, non-judgmental place to share successes, concerns, and questions - If you're looking for entry-level ways to detox your lifestyle, then Harmless Home is for you. Welcome!
-Elisabeth