Two DIY Cleaning Products: Part 1 of 3


This post is the first in a three-part series intended to help you build up a nontoxic cleaning arsenal. I'll be sharing a total of six different recipes for household cleaning sprays. Let's start in the kitchen - Here are the materials you'll need this week:

- Spray bottles: I highly recommend these - This pack comes with five regular bottles and one foaming bottle (which works perfectly with one of the recipes I'll be sharing next week). Mine have lasted me a nice long time and the spray tips hold up great to frequent use. You can also reuse the spray bottles from your store-bought cleaning products, though the spray tips may wear out sooner.
- Vinegar: The acetic acid in vinegar is a powerful cleaning solvent - Regular white vinegar is 90% effective against mold and 99.9% effective against bacteria. I buy our vinegar at Costco, where a big box of two 1-gallon jugs is just over $3.
- Tea tree oil: This essential oil has fantastic antimicrobial properties - It is antibacterial, antifungal, and antiviral. I use the tea tree oil that comes in this kit (we will be using two other oils from this kit in upcoming cleaners), but you can also purchase it on its own here. A tiny bottle like this will last you a loooong time.
- Hydrogen peroxide: Unlike chlorine bleach, which tends to leave a toxic residue and release dangerous fumes, hydrogen peroxide breaks down benignly into water and oxygen. A University of Florida study found that hydrogen peroxide is 99.999% effective against E. coli and Listeria - More effective than Lysol! Regular grocery stores and drugstores carry 3% hydrogen peroxide at a low price, typically $1-2 for a 16 ounce bottle.
- Water: Nothing fancy here, just use what comes out of your tap :)

DIY Cleaning Spray #1: All-Purpose Surface Cleaner
I use this spray on our countertops, stovetop, cutting boards, toaster, high chair, toys, door knobs, and anything else that seems grimy.

Instructions:
1. Fill your spray bottle one-third full with vinegar
2. Fill the additional two-thirds of the bottle with water
3. Add 10-15 drops of tea tree oil
4. If the smell bothers you, feel free to add a few drops of another essential oil like orange or lavender (I did lemongrass this last time and am loving it)

DIY Cleaning Spray #2: Disinfectant
I use this spray on rare occasions when I might previously have used bleach - If someone has the stomach flu or if raw meat touches the counter (this actually never happens at my house because we don't eat meat, but I'd recommend this spray for raw meat cleanup). It is good to keep this spray in a dark cabinet because light can break down the hydrogen peroxide.

Instructions:
1. Fill your spray bottle one-half full with hydrogen peroxide...
2. ...and then fill the rest of the way with water - that's it!

Why make DIY cleaning products? As you recall from this quick reference guide, many of the ingredients used in store-bought cleaning products are hazardous to our health. These toxic chemicals don't just enter the body through consumption - According to the CDC, skin absorption may actually be the most significant exposure risk we face, since the skin is a direct route to the bloodstream (hence nicotine and birth control patches). Inhalation also poses a significant risk, as most conventional cleaning products contain VOCs. The recipes shared in this series use safe ingredients that will leave your air, your body, and your surfaces clean and pure.

DIY cleaning products are healthier for you and healthier for the planet, but they are also healthier for your budget - One ~$3 Costco box of vinegar will make around 25 of the 32-ounce spray bottles of all-purpose cleaner! If the health benefits aren't motivating enough for you, the financial incentive is pretty awesome. Since these sprays come together in seconds and one bottle will last for months, this is a surprisingly easy way to detox your home while saving cash.

Read part 2 of this series here for two DIY cleaning sprays to use in the bathroom!

---

*In this post, I've linked to products in the Harmless Home Amazon Shop, an Amazon.com storefront curated by me, filled with products that I use and love. I'll always let you know if there is a cheaper place to find any of the products I recommend. When you add items to your cart and check out via the Harmless Home shop, you'll be taken back to the main Amazon.com site and will make your purchase there, but a portion of the proceeds from your sale will support this blog. You pay Amazon.com prices, Amazon manages your order, and Harmless Home gets a little love - It's a win-win :) For free 2-day shipping, sign up for a 30-day trial of Amazon Prime here.

9 comments:

  1. I'm loving the blog Elisabeth! Question: how effective is the all-purpose solution without the tea tree oil? If I go put vinegar and water in a spray bottle right now, can I feel good about getting things clean?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elisha, I'm so glad you like the blog! :) If you leave out the tea tree oil, you'll still have a pretty good cleaner - You'll be able to cut through grime and get rid of bacteria much more effectively than with just water. The tea tree oil bumps up the antibacterial power, especially against bacteria like E coli and Staph, and adds antiviral protection, so during cold and flu season in particular you may want to include the tea tree oil, but if you've got the vinegar on hand and want to get started today, go for it! I'd recommend adding the tea tree oil in a couple months when seasonal viruses start going around. You can also add a squirt of lemon juice for a smaller boost of germ-killing power. Just make sure that if you're cleaning up after raw meat you use something stronger, like the hydrogen peroxide spray.

      Delete
  2. Elisabeth, I just used the all-purpose cleaner recipe (w/ tea-tree oil) in our bathroom. My husband commented on how clean it smelled! (Something he never has done before). Everything is shiny and clean. Needless to say, Windex will not be coming back into our home : )
    Loving the blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hooray! Thanks for sharing your success story :) Glad you both can see and smell the difference!

      Delete
  3. I've been wondering about the best cleaner for the toilet - should I use your disinfectant recipe? I've been using my supply of Mrs. Meyers all-purpose cleaner for everything (hardwood floor, counters, toilet, sink, etc.) and it's almost out. I'm happy about that because I have not taken time to do research on it's effectiveness and I'm anxious to start your recipes since you've done all the work for me!

    ps. one benefit of natural cleaners that I hadn't thought of before using it is that I don't have to quarantine the room I have just cleaned until the potency wears off. If Henry touches the sink or takes a big whiff near my newly cleaned floor I'm not worried! Makes cleaning/toddler control that much more simple.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. stephanie that's so great! how counterintuitive that cleaning would mean you needed to keep henry away. glad you don't have to do that anymore! you can totally use the disinfectant for your toilets, or if you want some scrubbing action to remove stains easily you can use baking soda (plus the all purpose cleaner or a little straight vinegar if you want to make it fizz!). i have a big bag of baking soda i got for a few bucks at costco years ago and i use it to scrub, deodorize, clean up spills, etc.

      Delete
  4. Recently, when my organized a surprise party for me at home, but the dirty stain marks of cold drinks and pastries on the carpets and sofa sets spoiled out mood later. Thus, we decided to contacted a professional cleaning service that is considered to be the best all around Pretoria, and it was truly worthwhile.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for providing such useful information. Hope to get some more information in future also.
    Nontoxic cleaner
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh that's great info !! thanks

    Visit my website: NicotineResources

    ReplyDelete

 

Questions or requests?

Name

Email *

Message *

About

I've spent 5+ years cleaning up my chemical act, first by researching conventional products and then by finding nontoxic solutions and making slow and steady changes. I blog about my past and current research, recommend products and DIY solutions, and present simple steps that can make a big difference in the health of your home. Harmless Home is a positive, non-judgmental place to share successes, concerns, and questions - If you're looking for entry-level ways to detox your lifestyle, then Harmless Home is for you. Welcome!
-Elisabeth