Simple switch: Dryer sheets

images: 1, 2
Dryer sheets are a surprisingly nasty household item - Not only can they raise cancer risk (check out this news article featuring a study by my favorite researcher, Dr. Anne Steinemann), but the chemicals they leave on your clothes can cause asthma to develop in otherwise healthy people. I especially do not want my son exposed to those toxic chemicals! I ditched dryer sheets years ago and have never, ever missed them - The laundry detergent I used for a long time contained a natural coconut-based fabric softener, but since I've just switched to a new laundry detergent (product review coming up shortly!), I'm waiting to see if the softness of my clothes takes a hit. If it does, I'll be picking up a set of wool dryer balls - I've stocked a few different kinds in the Harmless Home Amazon Shop right here. Wool dryer balls soften your clothes naturally and decrease drying time by up to 25% (sounds like a dream if you wash and dry cloth diapers like we do!) - They'll last for a thousand loads and cut down on wrinkles and static. Compare those benefits to the miserable EWG scores of every single Bounce product - This simple switch is a BIG win for your family and your health!

Special thanks to Angela for suggesting this topic :)

1 comments:


  1. We provide a full range of environmentally safe Hygiene Services and Washroom products, including Sanitary Bins, Air Fresheners (Air Fresh units & Purifiers), medical waste and sharps removal as well as hand hygiene products, we have over 150 products, services and options to suit virtually any requirement.

    air hand dryers Sydney

    ReplyDelete

 

Questions or requests?

Name

Email *

Message *

About

I've spent 5+ years cleaning up my chemical act, first by researching conventional products and then by finding nontoxic solutions and making slow and steady changes. I blog about my past and current research, recommend products and DIY solutions, and present simple steps that can make a big difference in the health of your home. Harmless Home is a positive, non-judgmental place to share successes, concerns, and questions - If you're looking for entry-level ways to detox your lifestyle, then Harmless Home is for you. Welcome!
-Elisabeth