Sunscreen safety!



I'm pretty into sun safety. I've had a couple of melanoma scares, and I like the idea of having smooth, wrinkle-free skin as I age :) The best anti-aging product is a safe and healthy sunscreen.

In recent years, sunscreen ingredients have taken a turn for the worse. Oxybenzone, an active ingredient in many sunscreens, is known to penetrate the skin and enter the bloodstream, where it can act as estrogen in the body, disrupting your hormones. Retinyl palmitate, extra high SPFs, spray sunscreens, and sunscreen/bug repellant combos all present additional risks - Read more here. Additionally, conventional sunscreens tend to contain artificial fragrance and a whole host of other typical cosmetics ingredients that we know aren't safe. No thank you!

Here's the good news: EWG has come to the rescue once again by releasing an annual sunscreen guide. You can browse the best-ranking sunscreens in four categories (beach & sports, moisturizers, lip balms, make up) to find a nontoxic product that fits your lifestyle and your budget. My two favorite brands are Badger and Garden Goddess (which ranks just as high as Badger but is a little more affordable), and I also love this BabyGanics sunscreen stick to keep in my diaper bag (check your local Target for that one - I'm not seeing it on their website but my Target has these for around $5). I use this Everyday Coconut lotion on my face and love how lightweight (and affordable!) it is, and if you're looking for a tinted moisturizer with SPF, I recommend Juice Beauty. You can typically find these products at regular grocery stores that have a natural/organic section, or at stores like Whole Foods. Do you have a nontoxic sunscreen product you love? I would love to hear about it!

While the best anti-aging product is a safe sunscreen, the best anti-aging practice is staying out of the sun. Follow these tips to reduce your risk of skin cancer and keep your skin looking young:

  • Stay out of the sun between 10am and 4pm, when the sun's rays are the strongest - We try to use this time for indoor play, naps, errands, etc and use the mornings and late afternoon/evenings for walks and outdoor play
  • When you are out in the sun, stay covered up - Wear cool and comfy clothing that covers your skin (maxi skirts!), walk along the shady side of the street, picnic under a tree or umbrella, bring along a hat that shades your face and always wear sunglasses with UV protection - After years of squinting I finally invested in these prescription sunglasses and I love love love them!
  • If you're going to be out in the sun and it isn't practical to cover up, lather on some nontoxic sunscreen and reapply frequently according to the product instructions
  • Keep your babies out of the sun!
  • Take a vitamin D3 supplement, especially if you live in a place like Seattle! You can ask your care provider to check your levels and figure out the best dosage for you

All that being said... don't be a hermit! When I had my second potential melanoma removed (at the age of 24), my doctor told me to follow all of the above advice but not to live in fear - A healthy, balanced lifestyle most definitely includes getting outside, being active, and enjoying the summertime. She also told me to eat lots of organic fruits and veggies :) Bottom line: Be healthy, be happy, be safe!

---

*In this post, I've linked to products in the Harmless Home Amazon Shop, an Amazon.com storefront curated by me, filled with products that I use and love. I'll always let you know if there is a cheaper place to find any of the products I recommend. When you add items to your cart and check out via the Harmless Home shop, you'll be taken back to the main Amazon.com site and will make your purchase there, but a portion of the proceeds from your sale will support this blog. You pay Amazon.com prices, Amazon manages your order, and Harmless Home gets a little love - It's a win-win :) For free 2-day shipping, sign up for a 30-day trial of Amazon Prime here

8 comments:

  1. Loved this post! I also love the entire online shop. I now know where I am going when I need to replace products :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gina! Our conversation on Saturday totally inspired it - I love that you've been evangelizing safe sunscreen at the Spokane playgrounds :) And thanks for supporting the shop!

      Delete
  2. I got up so early to read your blog!!I use Kiss my face facial sunscreen SPF 30.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading! :) Glad you have a safe sunscreen you love!

      Delete
  3. I ordered the Coconut lotion and Garden Goddness through your link. Can't wait to try them!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We all can get burned really easily, if we aren't careful. Despite misconceptions, dark skin alone is not not a guarantee of not gettign burnt. Before long, without adequate protection in harsh sun, anyone will find themselves nursing sore skin.
    http://jtrader.hubpages.com/hub/Top-10-Best-Sunscreens-in-2014-Review

    ReplyDelete

 

Questions or requests?

Name

Email *

Message *

About

I've spent 5+ years cleaning up my chemical act, first by researching conventional products and then by finding nontoxic solutions and making slow and steady changes. I blog about my past and current research, recommend products and DIY solutions, and present simple steps that can make a big difference in the health of your home. Harmless Home is a positive, non-judgmental place to share successes, concerns, and questions - If you're looking for entry-level ways to detox your lifestyle, then Harmless Home is for you. Welcome!
-Elisabeth