Product Spotlight: Dr. Bronner's

img source
If I could gift everyone I know one nontoxic product, it would be a big fat bottle of Dr. Bronner's Baby Mild Pure Castille Soap. I'll admit, for a long time I passed this by in the grocery store because I was intimidated by all the text on the label (which, by the way, is a pretty fun read - and if you enjoy it you should check out the documentary). I'm so glad I eventually gave it a try, because Dr. Bronner's has changed my life for the better. This soap is made out of pure and gentle ingredients - It is essentially a soapified combination of organic coconut, olive, hemp and jojoba oils. The liquid and bar soaps come in a wide range of delicious scents (all essential oils, nothing artificial) but we usually stick with the unscented "baby mild" version. The large 32 ounce bottles are typically around $16 but will last you an incredibly long time because the soap is concentrated and should be watered down for use - You can also find $2 travel size bottles at grocery stores and Target if you want to try the soap out before committing. Here's a little sample of some of the things you can do with your bottle of Dr. Bronner's:

  • Hand soap - We fill our bathroom and kitchen soap pumps with one part Dr. Bronner's to one part water - If the thinness bothers you, stick it in a foaming pump
  • Body wash - Keep a smaller bottle in the shower and get squeaky clean with just a couple drops (this lathers up great!)
  • Shampoo - When we travel, we just bring one tiny bottle of Dr. Bronner's and use it head to toe, and I've never missed my regular shampoo
  • Baby wash - We grab our hand soap pump and use our 50/50 soap to wash our baby boy all over
  • Shaving cream - Lather a few drops in your hand for a luxurious nontoxic shave
  • Bubble bath - Add a squirt as the tub is filling up for a gentle relaxing bath
  • Toothpaste - I haven't tried this one, but people with sensitive or softer teeth sometimes prefer to brush with a drop or two of Dr. Bronner's since it doesn't contain anything abrasive
  • Laundry detergent - 1/4 to 1/3 cup per load, with an optional dash of baking soda, or use a bit to hand wash your delicates - I haven't yet tried this on our clothes but I think I'll use it in our next load of cloth diapers
  • Baby bottle cleaner - One friend said she was sent home from the hospital with some of this gentle soap to use to clean her baby's bottles since it is so mild
  • Spider/ant repellant - Exact recipe in an upcoming post!
  • Hardwood floor cleaner Exact recipe in an upcoming post!
  • Shower cleaner - Exact recipe in an upcoming post!
  • Grease cleaner - Apply it straight to cut through the toughest grease
  • Produce wash - Use a dash in water to scrub or rinse your fruits and veggies
  • Pet shampoo - Use as you would on a human :)
  • I can't vouch for this, but word on the street is the peppermint Dr. Bronner's makes a great mouthwash (watered down) and deodorant

Have you found any other fabulous uses for Dr. Bronner's? If you haven't yet tried it out and you're looking for one versatile item that can help you clean out multiple old products, I recommend Dr. Bronner's - It'll simplify your life and give you more bang for your buck. Let me know how you like it!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Questions or requests?

Name

Email *

Message *

About

I've spent 5+ years cleaning up my chemical act, first by researching conventional products and then by finding nontoxic solutions and making slow and steady changes. I blog about my past and current research, recommend products and DIY solutions, and present simple steps that can make a big difference in the health of your home. Harmless Home is a positive, non-judgmental place to share successes, concerns, and questions - If you're looking for entry-level ways to detox your lifestyle, then Harmless Home is for you. Welcome!
-Elisabeth